Cast your vote!
The Western New York Conservancy is holding an international design ideas competition to transform the former elevated DL&W railroad corridor running from Canalside to the Buffalo River into an inspiring new nature trail and greenway.
Nearly one hundred proposals were submitted from across the region, the country and around the world. Nature lovers, trail users, and people excited about the revitalization of Buffalo’s waterfront and communities are now being encouraged to vote for their favorite design ideas.
The three designs that get the most online votes will become finalists in the Community Choice Award, and will be eligible to win a $3,000 prize. They will join a selection of design idea proposals selected by neighborhood stakeholders in the Old First Ward, Perry, and Valley neighborhoods.
Voting is now closed. Thank you to all participants!
You can still view all the designs in our online gallery
The designs that received the most votes will be on display at the Design Ideas Competition Open House. Come cast your vote for your favorite to receive the Community Choice Award. The Open House will be held at the M&T Center on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 from 6-8PM. All are welcome and pre-registration is requested.
- November 16, 2018: Design Ideas Competition launch.
- January 4, 2019: Optional site visit for applicants.
- January 11, 2019: Deadline for questions from applicants.
- February 15, 2019: Deadline for submissions (5:00 p.m. EST)
- April 2019: Open house and selection of winners
We would like thank the generous supporters of the Design Ideas Competition
- M&T Bank
- Blue Fund, BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York
- Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Legacy Funds at the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation/Land Trust Alliance
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy through the Doppelt Family Trail Development Fund
- Individual Land Conservancy members and donors